On Thursday, June 18, 10 a.m. on the Goodlett Steps of San Francisco City Hall, the community will rally in support of public defense and budget justice.
Nearly 28,000 adults and youth rely on the Public Defender’s Office for legal representation and reentry programs. Mayor Gavin Newsom’s proposed $1.9 million budget cut will debilitate our ability to represent our clients and their families. A strong Public Defender’s Office eliminates inefficient court delays and unnecessary jail time, freeing up money for needs like healthcare, housing, and education. Join us in letting the Board of Supervisors know that you cannot put a price on constitutional rights!
Confirmed speakers include:
- Jeff Adachi, San Francisco Public Defender
- Rev. Calvin Jones Jr., Providence Baptist Church
- Doug Yamamoto, Glaziers & Glassworkers, Local 718
- Eva J. Paterson, Executive Director, Equal Justice Society
- Anamaria Loya, Executive Director, La Raza Centro Legal
- Dorsey Nunn, Executive Director, All of Us or None
- Jane Kim, San Francisco School Board Member
- Carlos Villarreal, Executive Director, San Francisco National Lawyers Guild
Public comment for the Board of Supervisors Budget and Finance Committee budget hearing will be held on Monday, June 22, 2009, at 5 p.m. at City Hall.
Please come out and show your support! Download our flyer here.