“Many people who have been convicted of a crime don’t realized that they may be eligible to have their conviction dismissed. We created the Clean Slate Program to help people through this process. We hope this program is helpful and those who are eligible will participate.” Jeff Adachi, Public Defender
Clean Slate is a program of the San Francisco Public Defender’s Office that can help people “clean up” their criminal records. The type of cases we handle: Expungements (misdemeanor & felony convictions including, but not limited to drunk driving, theft, prostitution, burglary, drug offenses, domestic violence, robbery, and assault and battery) and Certificates of Rehabilitation such as State Prison Cases.
All services are free if you qualify.
Here’s What To Do
Step 1: Get a Copy of Your RAP Sheet
You can pick up your RAP sheet in person at the San Francisco Police Department (SFPD) Identification Bureau located at the Hall of Justice, 850 Bryant Street, Room 475, 4th Floor, San Francisco. If you would like to obtain a copy of your RAP sheet by mail, or if you have other questions, stop by a clinic or contact us.
Step 2: Fill Out An Application
You can get an application at a walk-in clinic, online, or by contacting us.
Step 3: Turn In Application To Us.
Once we receive your application, we will review your eligibility and contact you with further information.
If you have questions, stop by one of our free walk-in clinics:
- Every Tuesday, 9am-11am: Public Defender’s Office, 555 Seventh Street
- Every 1st and 3rd Monday, 10:00am-11:00am: Community Justice Center, 555 Polk St. 2nd Floor
- Every 2nd and 4th Monday, 10:30am-12:30pm: Arriba Juntos, 1850 Mission Street (SPANISH Speaking)
- 1st Thursdays, 9am-11am: Ella Hill Hutch Community Center, 1050 McAllister Street (between Webster & Buchanan in Fillmore), S.F.
- 4th Wednesdays, 3pm-5pm: The Village Community Center, 1099 Sunnydale Avenue
- Every 1st and 3rd Thursday, 9am-11am: Southeast Community Center, 1800 Oakdale Avenue